Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Aunt Rosemary's 70th Birthday Song

I've got to tell you, personalized songs is where it's at. My Aunt Rosie had her 70th Birthday Party last month, and my husband is trying out this new business where he creates customized personalized songs for people for any and all occasions. So, my thought was, "ok, let's see how good he really is". It was the day before the party, you see, and I didn't have a gift yet. In fact, I had no idea what kind of gift to get someone who is turning 70 years old. But I knew this much... my Aunt has a sense of humor, as do most of my relatives, and I've got a husband who writes personalized songs. So.... bingo! Great gift idea! I emailed my husband from work and told him a little bit about my Aunt. The things I told him were: she's turning 70, from Chicago, married to a lawyer, has 2 kids, goes to a Lutheran church, and knits. I really didn't know much else. Well, he got going writing the song (remember, this was the day before the party). He calls me and says he needs more goods on her, more information for this custom personalized song. So, I get back on the computer and quickly email my cousin. I explained what I was doing and asked her for some really good stuff on her mom. "Well', she said, "she quit smoking", and "she used to have a dog as a kid". My first thought was "who didn't???", but ok. I'll see if he can use it. So I give my husband the "goods" on my aunt. Sounded boring to me, but hey, let's see what he can come up with. By the time I returned home from work that day he tells me that the song is done. No kidding! He's that good! Great musician, great voice, great guitar and musical talent, and I have to admit, great song writing skills. The song he wrote is called "Rosie's 70th", and I tell you, it was the hit of the party! We went the next day (not my husband-that's another blog), with CD in hand, CD player (just in case they didn't have one at the private banquet room where the party was-good idea, by the way, because they didn't), and the framed lyrics. About midway through the party after everyone was finished eating, I announced that I had a very special gift for my Aunt Rosie. I had everyone's full attention, and people were excited to even just know a special song was written just for her. Most people, I think, were expecting something a bit sappy, except for people who know my husband. I played it. The song was upbeat, good natured, funny, and showed a lot of love, all wrapped up in one song. It wished her a happy birthday, summarized her life, and celebrated her life. It was the perfect gift for the happy occasion. I hope everyone has an opportunity to receive or give a special gift like this. I know my cousin's son was going to show her how to save it onto the new iphone she got for her birthday, so she could play it anytime she wanted and for all of her friends who couldn't attend. At the end of the day, people were coming up to me saying that my husband should go into business and try to do this for other people. Well, he is; and I wish him all of God's best.